Dressing and embellishing public spaces to encourage the French to move. This is the challenge of active design, which has been brought to the forefront by Paris 2024 and the Agence nationale de la Cohésion des Territoires. Together they are publishing a specific guide for local authorities ready to move.
On 20 January 2021, the National Agency for Territorial Cohesion and Paris 2024 signed a cooperation agreement in the presence of the Minister for Territorial Cohesion and Relations with Local Authorities, Jacqueline Gourault, Caroline Cayeux, President of the National Agency for Territorial Cohesion, and the President of Paris 2024, Tony Estanguet.
This collaboration is aimed at the 222 cities in the Action Cœur de Ville network, with the ambition of rapidly extending to as many local authorities as possible that have been awarded the Terre de Jeux 2024 label. In addition to the communication tools and information provided by the Terre de Jeux 2024 label, this agreement reflects the desire to develop active design in local authorities, which is part of the Impact and Legacy strategy of the Paris 2024 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
The desire to develop active design is the result of two observations:
- Sedentary lifestyles, particularly among children, are on the increase in France. One adult in two and one child in five are overweight. In addition, in 40 years, young people aged 9 to 16 have lost 25% of their physical capacity.
- Many town centres have experienced difficulties in terms of vitality and attractiveness and are looking for new ways to attract inhabitants and visitors.
This has resulted in the creation of the Active Design Guide for local authorities, supporting the commitment of the Agence Nationale de la Cohésion des Territoires to the development of active design in France, in particular through an unprecedented partnership with the Cité du design de Saint-Étienne.
The support provided by the Cité du design de Saint-Étienne consists of :
- Support for the production of the Active Design Guide for Action Coeur de Ville communities
- Support for the emergence of active design projects in Action Coeur de Ville cities
- Promotion of active design in Action Cœur de Ville cities as part of the Biennale Internationale Design Saint-Etienne on the 1 June 2022